View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Guru

Ok so some of you that have been around for a while know. I was stubborn with many things in the beginning and mirror polishing was deffinitly one of those things, in the beginging I wanted to polish everything and I thought it looked great. I still polish some things but no where near as much BUT after doing so many (and it takes a lot of experimenting even going from one grit belt or one compound on the buffer to another and then having to go back cause you missed something.) there is a lot of back and forth now when I do polish a blade and look back and compare it to a older one....HUGE difference those early ones that I thought looked so good actually look horrible I just thought they looked good cause I had nothing to compare. its taken a lot of work to get it where it is now and still it would benefit from improvement. but I think now I agree one step at a time learn satin finish's first and then step up step by step from there. and as ray and jim were saying a lot of my early ones in the process of buffing had washed out the grind lines. so when you do that by accident it looks horrible. however I have washed out grind lines on purpose on both satin finished blades and polished ones and it CAN look good if done right personally if its thicker steel and the pluge lines are deep and you wash out the horizontal grind line a little bit but NOT the pluge lines I think it can look good (but just a little washing out not all) but again for those of you that remember when I started I am sure I drove some of you crazy with all the questions (especially you ray) and was stuborn about not doing things in order of the easiest way to learn..i mean perfect example first knife ever was a VERY crude "knife shaped object" made from a file the second one I decided it was a good idea to make my own Damascus billet and make a knife from that (ray remember that I am sure you were laughing for that one) I spent sooo much time making the same mistakes you learn a lot quicker going one step at a time! that's my point I guess