View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknola View Post
Apparently RMK has recycled the term "ivorite" to reference different materials at different times. I think "ivorite" was originally a moniker for "Delrin." I've seen several wonderful examples of Rick's work on line recently that mostly were on a parchment colored material that is probably what you describe. It looks great, I didn't know this could be done on Micarta. This picture was posted on another site, but I think it is the material you are referring to.
Jack,

IMO the majority of Rick's scrim has been done on Westinghouse paper Micarta (AKA "Old Yeller"). It starts out as plain white and then yellows as a function of being exposed to light. Hang it on a wall for a decade or so and the contrast between the two sides is readily apparent. It has "grain" like wood which is enhanced as the material yellows. Here are photos of a few that I've owned:

This belt buckle is Rick's first attempt to use color in his scrim. It has a "test pattern" on the back. I bought a knife from a gentleman in Australia and he threw in the belt buckle at no charge!

Best,

Ron