View Single Post
Old 01-21-2002, 08:17 PM
Ed Caffrey

My intent when I'm doing a final grind is to have the blade sharp by the time I come off the 400 grit belt. I do my best have the smallest edge bevels I can when the blade is finished. Actually on about 75% of my knives I combine a flat grind (to remove excess weight), and a convex grind (to ensure I get the strength I need). The results are usually a blade that is sharp when done, but a minor "touch up" is needed before it goes to the customer. Realistically I don't think there is a way to have no edge bevels at all. The trick is to make them as tiny as possible (while building in a very slim taper from the area just above the edge....to the edge) all the while ensuring there is enough "meat" behind the edge to withstand abuse.
That is part of what I'm talking about when I write/speak about "The Overall Package".
The maker has to figure all the factors out to produce a blade, of the chosen steel, with a specific heat treat that will allow him/her to achieve the grinds/edges that make a blade "high performance".