View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Guru

Dtec you're overthinking this.

The Krazy Glue I use with the little brush is thin and will wick into the gap. A little acetone based nail polish remover will thin the glue even more. That is why I have it. You said the gap is tiny, I've used KG to fill up gaps that weren't so tiny. It will dry clear yes, but as it's drying take a black marker pen and put it on there. Don't use child safe markers, but that stuff that makes fumes. It will wick into the gap while the glue sets up and turn the glue black or blackish.

Doug you are totally right, but I just sold a set of three kitchen knives and the buyer insisted they be dishwasher safe. I warned him that he would have to polish the knives if they were put in the dw too much, he didn't care so OK.
I used a pretty gemstone looking acrylic that I'll never use with a full tang again as trying to get the plastic-metal juncture was nigh on impossible to get smooth. I pride myself on making handles where you cannot feel the pins or tang. I would sand it even and polish and the tang would stick out again. Took diamond polish to make it acceptable to me, but I'll make hidden tangs from now on out with plastic handles. I do not understand why wood doesn't do the same thing as badly. He wants me to make 5 more sets for his daughters and for what I'm charging, acrylic and G10 it is.

The customer is always right. He's an old family friend and I made a small paring knife for him for free, because it belonged to his adoptive Mother and I handled it with a new one to match the set I sold him and polished it up. That little act of kindness according to his wife made him cry. So when you can, do something nice for someone. Makes you feel good and the world a little better.

Last edited by jimmontg; 07-30-2016 at 02:21 PM.