Thread: anvils
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 AM

It's not gonna unless you are forging miniatures. It's all physics - mass/resistance/force/energy displacement.
You will need more mass straight down below your hammer impact area. The suggestions above will work ok until you can find better.

One of my favorite "homemades" is the butt-end of a broken forklift tine. Total mass weight is 50#, but all the mass is straight down below the hammer impact. I can reduce 1" round bar on it, not as easily as on my big Peter Wright, but much more effectively than you will be able to on 1/2" plate. With a little "poor puppy" posturing and some asking, you can get one for pennies on the pound.
I actually use mine when I'm traveling to do half-day demos. It's easily portable and quite the workhorse. I have even adapted some scrap metal to make up quite usable and effective hardies for speciality work.

If I get a chance I'll take some pics for posting in the next day or so.

Just a note: My very first "anvil" was a large chunk of reject granite headstone. Still got it and it still works. All about working steel hot and eye/hand/hammer control.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H