View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 05:23 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutchtip View Post
I am not trivializing the no scale Astros, I believe it is merely a minor side note to the history of the model.
That's fine Joe. You certainly have the right to believe it to be a side note if you wish, but with Bo offering it to the public for the first time in his 16th printing catalog as a replica without scales, with the Micarta as an "option" it seems to me that it was more than a "side note". IMO you are trivializing a model that was near and dear to Mr Randall.

triv·i·al·ize
ˈtrivēəˌlīz/Submit
verb
make (something) seem less important, significant, or complex than it really is.
"the problem was either trivialized or ignored by teachers"
synonyms: treat as unimportant, minimize, play down, underestimate, make light of, treat lightly, dismiss, underplay, downplay, diminish, belittle; informalpooh-pooh

By definition you are attempting to trivialize, Joe.

It's about perspective, and as the Randall authenticator, just because you don't particularly like the model, I would think you would appreciate the Astro in it's place of Randall history, instead of putting personal bias into it.

Your earlier comment "It more that impractical w/o scales. It is barely practical with scales, a very small handle. Anyone can take an early Astro and take the scales off. Wa la, an Astro w/o scales. Much to do about nothing."

Were you there Joe, when Gordon Cooper and Bo Randall designed the knife? Did you express your opinion to one of the first American astronauts, that his design was impractical?

It was designed for astronauts, possibly having space gloves on, not for a hunter or fighter. You have to remember the functional purpose of the knife. Kind of like the oversized hilt to keep the gloved hand from slipping up on the blade if he had to hack his way out of the capsule.
I think the early Astros and the initial replicas are great examples in keeping with the early technology of the space program.

Another thing. I imagine that the few scaleless Astros that went out to the public, more attention was probably given to the tang with finish work, because it was intended to be displayed without scales.

Sam