View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Skilled

I had just lain down on a midnight dreary when suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. And it got better. In my inbox was a mother lode from Gary Clinton. Five knives and now we have data that goes far beyond mere coolie caps, hex or round nuts, and start date of recessed tangs. It now includes historical Bowies. Gary's comments precede each set of pictures.

Gary: "These photos show very early bowies. I don't have sheaths but estimate the knives to be mid to late 50's. Hard to see in the photo's but the first bowie has the leather washers at the hilt and butt as the very early ones did."

Gary: "The second bowie also intrigued me for the thickness of the leather washers." (My note: the size of the leather washers seems similar to the thickness on James' Bowie. I've heard they are a marker for the first year of production of Bowies - but that is hearsay).

Hi Jack,

Gary: "This is that Stockman sheath model 1. We know the Stockman is 1961-62."

Gary: "...and a little bear with antique gold micarta." (My note: We would speculate this knife being post 1966 or so if the progression postulated in this line is correct... and what a beautiful handle.)

Gary: "Just had to throw a wrench in the gears. One of the things I like most about Randalls is there is always and oddball. Crazy piece."

I'm officially speechless. More more encore.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-31-2017 at 02:51 PM.