Thread: First Knives
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Ash, the very first knives I ever made were files and I just tempered them back in an oven and ground them down at work being careful not to heat them up. I used them for filleting fish as they were still very hard. I used tape and ice cream sticks for the handles. I worked a commercial boat on the weekends in the 70s. They saved me time not sharpening knives.

Your knives are quite good for first try and handmade. Try to get a grinder, my first one when I started making knives again was a 3x21 belt sander clamped to a table just cause I already had it. Worked surprisingly well. Hand finished the rest. With your patience a small grinder would work very well. Patience is necessary even if you have the best equipment.
That's an awesome story! That's why I like people's first knives, they usually come with a little extra.

Thanks very much for the advice. My biggest problem right now is not having a good work space. I spend half my time in my friend's garage (which is already low on space because of his equipment) and the other half in my basement using my freezer as a table

That said, this is a great time to ask... How much louder than hand filing (or another power tool you can compare) might it be? I know that's sort of hard to put into words, but I live in a townhouse with an unfinished basement, so noise can be an issue. I have used plenty of power tools in the past, a bench grinder is not one of them, however.

Last edited by ash_a101; 01-27-2017 at 03:42 PM.