View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Steel Addict

Bandsaw Conversion - UPDATE

Hi Guys,

I thought I?d offer a follow-up to the ?bandsaw conversion? post I made some weeks ago.

I purchased a 1hp variable speed DC motor in the hopes that it would be sufficient in getting the blade speed down below 200fpm, primarily because I didn?t want to have to mess with jackshafts and extra pulleys and belts. Well, despite my best intentions, it didn?t quite work out the way I wanted, as the slowest I was able to get the blade speed down to just using the DC motor was right at 600fpm, still too fast.

So, the next step was to install a jack shaft and another set of pulleys to slow the thing down even further, and this finally did the trick. Right now, the blade speed is about 80fpm at the very slowest and well over 400fpm at the fastest, more than sufficient for any metal that I?ll need to cut with it.

Below are three photos of the finished project. . . to say that I?m happy with the outcome would be an understatement. I cut out about two dozen blades from both D2 and ATS-34 this past week and it only took me a little over two hours to accomplish that task, where with my previous bandsaw, it took me nearly the entire day, what with the weak motor and the blade constantly jumping off the drive wheels.

Anyway, to the pictures, this first shot is of the speed control box that houses the speed control board, potentiometer, power indicator and power switch.

This next shot is of the rear of the DC motor and the rear of the jackshaft mounting bracket and bearing.

This last shot is of the front of the motor, showing the jackshaft mounting bracket, bearing, and pulley system used to reduce the speed of the blade. I used a 1.750? pulley on the motor that drove an 8? pulley on the jackshaft. Then from the jackshaft I had another 1.750? pulley that then drove a 14? pulley mounted to the main drive shaft.

The pulleys and belts were all purchased from my local Ace Hardware store, making it real easy to experiment with pulley sizes and the resultant belts.

A relatively easy project for anyone willing to tackle it, I highly recommend it, especially if you can find an older Delta bandsaw for a reasonable price like I did. All-in-all I have just a little over $400.00 in the project which includes the original price I paid for the bandsaw ($150.00).

Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions, especially Tarl_cabot for suggesting the Home Shop Machinist website, they were a great resource for projects like this.

-Mr Mike

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Last edited by Mr Mike; 09-10-2007 at 04:27 PM.