View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Skilled

Joe, thanks for the info. I wonder if there is a time line when metal spacers disappeared? Also... when did Bo grow his signature mustache? He is clean shaven in that picture. That fishing trip was apparently charter boat deep water, marlin stuff. Pretty good stuff.

I don't pretend to be WWII RMK expert. Instead, I concentrate research on Vietnam era, broadly interpreted. And I really don't want to argue months ... (except perhaps Vietnam). I will observe that Ron's spacer stack and knife handle looks materially different than Mitchells. What that means is another story.

Re: WWII RMK study - I would change my focus if I every found out my father, Lt. Gene H. Williams, carried Randall into Normandy during D-Day parachute drop. He was in the 508th PIR which formed at Camp Blanding, Florida, in 1942. He would have been subjected to the same RMK acquisition peer pressure, originating from desire to emulate General Jim Gavin, as many airborne officers were. One example is General Singlab, who acquired his Randall as a young Lt. while his PIR unit was in training. But I doubt that will ever be discovered as such a knife was not returned with Gene Williams' belongings after he was KIA.

I asked LTC Steve Moore about Col Compton's military service. He has the major outline of Col Compton's career but will look to see further. it would be interesting to see if and when he was stationed in Florida.

Photos: I always used a host site, Photobucket, because I post on some rug boards, etc. However, Photobucket is holding millions of research lines, from RMKs, stamps, baseball cards , etc., hostage trying to force millions of collectors who have been posting research for 15 years to pony up $400 per year. It is outright extortion. All my research lines have been corrupted.

I have begun to use imgur.com... and am pleased with it so far. Easy to use, free. Ron and others use fototime, which charges a small yearly fee. There is a way to post on this sites server. Bill uses it... but it requires being logged in to see the posts and a click link to see the photos. Instructions are in the headings. Ciao.