View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 06:53 PM

Well, my son and I ground our first blade doing a flat grind on a 3/16" thick blade.

Not too bad results so far but we could probably continue with it a bit more.

I have already cut out the same blade profile in 1/8" stock and I can already see this would probably be less work to grind.

I have been grinding at only about 5/8 speed on our KMG grinder and am wondering if we should really be grinding at the highest spedd because the cutting seemed to be going a bit slow and maybe more time for error. We are using a 60 grit (AZX) belt as Pop from Pop's Knives felt a 40 grit belt might be too aggressive for beginers.

I also noticed that I wasn't getting many sparks while grinding and thought that this was either a result of too low a belt speed or the HomeDepot low-carbon steel we were practicing on.

Could someone let me know what a good grinding speed (in fractions) is on a VFD-controlled, 1725rpm, KMG belt grinder?

Much appreciate the responses here and on the previous emails.

Mario

PS - I got a pretty good tip from Steve Pryor on how to make cheap but effective a dust collection system. Steve says he uses a regular box fan and tapes a furnace-filter to both sides. I had both so I also did the same although I only taped one filter to the suction-side and the fan and had this close by the grinding platten while grinding. This must have caught most of the air-born dust becuase i did not notice any in the air afterwards and the filter was visibly dirty from the dust collect. Thanks for the tip Steve and can't wait for my new Pyroceram plate!