View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Guru

what I ment was I heat treat my blades as soon as the shape is cut out before I even think about putting bevels on but once you HT that steel is hard since I use a grinder to do the bevels I can do that my point was if your doing the bevels with a file once that steel is heat treated that file isn't going to be able to put the bevels on it will just skate off the steel if your using files you need to put the bevels in before the HT when the steel is still soft. leaving that 1mm thickness on the edge is what you want to do but your right doing that secondary bevel with a file after the HT is going to be a bit of work.....honestly I give you credit doing it that way I am extremely impatient with my grinder I can put that secondary bevel on in less than a minute then I sharpen it with stones on the edge pro system... are you using the files freehand or are you using a jig?? if you google knife file jig a bunch of stuff will come up like I said I don't use files but I have seen vids and one video I saw the guy said he uses a jig NOT to keep the bevels straight (wich it will also do) but he uses it because it makes it a bit faster you don't have to stop after everystroke and make sure its at the right angle the jig takes care of that so you can just go back and forth quickly ....maybe something to look at