View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccustomknives View Post
Ok, here's your problem. When dealing with simple carbon steels the heat treat can be messy. If money wasn't a problem a D-series tool steel like D-2 would be excellent. The advantage these give in a production setting is they are air hardening.
Tungsten is an excellent alloy, but too much could make the blade brittle. Moly is a key alloy for the air hardening steels.
Your originally wanted a stronger material, as I stated there is a trade off between strength and edge holding.
Off all the steels I mentioned, L-6 would show a good balance between strength and edge holding. D-2 would roughly double the edge holding but would be more brittle.
Thanks again. I did some reading up on L-6. I see what you mean, it's properties line up. D-2 also seems to have nice properties, but these blades are so thin that I'd want a strong resistance to permanent bends and snapping, so in this instance I'd lean towards L-6.

So do you know much about Maxamet? How would it rate against the L-6 / D-2 alternatives?