View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Guru

ok so the other 2 one is 7 in high by 8in long and the other is 3 3/8 high by 10 in long. both of those are good? i did try and do a lil reading on the subject but there isnt all that much out there from what i saw. I thought i remember some where it saying to stay away from the 3 inch ones. is that true or is it just because of the mass and if you have good base it will be ok? also you mean that some people just use a 4 in square piece of steel on top of pipe in the ground. how thick does that 4 inch piece of steel have to be? here's my situation. I am actually in the process of putting up a large shed in the back to keep al my stuff in (tool, welder, forge,ect) i aint going to just throw stuff in there i am going to turn it into a lil workshop (workbench, table, stand for the forge ect..) lets say i am taking up to much room in the garage that already has a lot of stuff in it. i spent yesterday building a wooded frame for the base of the shed. i basically took 6 in by 6 in hardwood pieces and used that for the outside frame then took 2 by4's and ran supports across just as you would place studs in a wall (just on the ground) Since the 6 by 6's are taller than the 2 by 4 wich are flush on the top there is a 2 inch gap under the 2 by 4 's to the ground (vary's slightly depending on the ground). Also 1/2in plywood covers it all. tomorrow i am going to put the shed ontop of this base. Now if i took one of these rail pieces i assume it wouldn't be good enough to make concrete base for it the diameter of the rail maybe slightly bigger and make it just tall enough to be comfortable swinging maybe 3 feet tall. and just put it on top of the plywood floor? would that work or no? If not what if i cut a hole in the floor and put more 6in by 6in right onto the ground and mount the 3 foot tall concrete piece to that so there wouldnt be that 2 in gap under the 2 by 4. or would i need to do that you said some people do and cut a hole in the floor dig a hole and pour the concrete into the hole in the ground? Obviously i dont want any more unnecessary work but also dont want to have to do it twice cause first wasn't good enough. If i have to pour concrete into the ground maybe ill hold off on putting up walls of the shed until i know definitely what i am getting and do that first. What do ya think would work? I know i got alot of questions on this but i did try and look up some of this on google and bing and was actually surprised how little info i found on how to make a base for these anvils.