View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Skilled

Modify a finished Randall Stiletto

Solingen teeth

Above is a Randall, late 1960s Solingen blade Model 14 with saw teeth. The knife is constructed from 1/4-in stock and the teeth are cut after the top edge was ground-beveled into a blade-like shape.

I don't know if this is the place to ask... but I am considering having a 1973 Randall Model 2"Fighting Stiletto" modified to include saw teeth on one edge. A picture of the modification is shown below.

The Model 2 is made with a different blade grind (either hollow or saber?) than the Model 14. Thus if teeth were added they would be less robust, but so is the Model 2 blade itself.

The Randall shop will not do this modification. However, information was received that the shop cuts the saw teeth (those models offered with the saw-teeth option) as a last step before final polishing. If that information is accurate, there wouldn't seem to be a metallurgic reason it could not be done by an expert knife maker or a good machine shop.

Would anyone recommend a procedure or contact who might undertake this? I would welcome comments about problems that may occur, chipping fracturing, etc. Could the knife be restored to a nice polish finish afterward? Thanks.

For reference this is what the knife looks like now:

Mod-2 and sheath front

Last edited by Jacknola; 03-24-2016 at 05:43 PM.