View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
It's best to use solders and fluxes suited to steels knifemakers' normally use.
I don't use solder anymore, JB weld does just as well if joints are tight and a lot less trouble.
As Eli said, not likely to find any solder that will stand up to the heats required for heattreating serious blade steel. Brass/silver brazing are even marginal at most HTng temps.
Good heat guns will work with the low temps like Sta-Brite. Not all "low" temp solders are lead based.

I don't normally solder but I have tried it on occasion and not with good results! So my question is what solders and fluxes are best suited to steels knifemakers' normally use?

A link to such materials might be very usefu
l!

Crex, thanks for any info you can share on where to get the proper solder and flux and which solder and flux are best to use!!!!!!!!!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft