View Single Post
Old 11-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Blake, an angle iron is not heat treatable as it doesn't have enough carbon to harden. Don't waste your time on structural steels they are like 1018, now the mower blade will be more like 1060 or 1070 the last two numerals on the steel designation stand for how much carbon. 1018 has a mere 0.18% carbon and doesn't harden. Steels do not start to harden until about .40 as in 4140 chrome moly steel again the 40 on the end stands for 0.40% carbon.

The mower blades should harden up as they typically run about 1060 or higher. 5160 leaf spring steels are as you may guess 0.60% carbon and is considered at the low end of hardenable steels. It is for sale in thick sizes because it is usually hammer forged to size. It is used to forge axes and heavy knives and is used in making Damascus by some. It is a tough steel and can be hardened enough for a knife, but not like 1084 or something.
Hey thanks for telling me that I totally forgot about the carbon thing from school. I just been going though hell with the ex so been busy with that. Anyways my buddy from school gave me some
A36 mild HRS
is that worth doing something? I am just gonna make a little shadow dagger from it and try it out and see if it works. A friend wants me to make one for her just to carry at night time for protection coming from a job. And this is a close friend so I said ya sure. She said it dont really have to have a edge just needs to penetrate lol. Thanks for all the knowledge everyone is giving me it means a whole bunch. I been watching more and more stuff on youtube and some walter sorrels videos.

edit: I just read that steel is crap Time to do a redesign or so on something else. Sorry for taking up your guys time

Last edited by Blake.s; 11-09-2016 at 04:38 PM.