View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 12:49 PM
Skilled

Now on the second page of this board is an in-depth discussion of white Tenite handled Randall model 14s and 15s. Much of the discussion concerns the history of Solingen blades of both models, AS such it is of interest to the vintage model 14 collecting community... Vintage Vietnam era Randall knives cannot be fully discussed without talking about Solingen blades.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67500

The discussion was one of the best collaborative research and investigative efforts I've experienced on Randall boards and the conclusions are important for understanding the early history of Model 14s. Therefore, I'm reproducing the last substantive post from that line. For a full understanding, I suggest scanning the line because the methodology is instructive.

-----------------------------------------------------

Well, I guess we can come to a conclusion with Joe's comments and solid references, and Sam, Ronnie, and Bill's raw data, pictures, and observations.

Sam, my opinion is that ALL the 500 m14s and 500 m15s 1st generation ricasso-stamped Solingens had holes drilled in Germany because they all were delivered presumably within a few months of each other. To change the manufacture and contractual specs of those 1,000 knives after production had started would be almost unheard of.

What this means is you will probably find five holes or so drilled in the tang of every one of those m15 and m14 Tenite-handles, 1st generation Solingen knives.... if you took the handle apart.

(Note: this assumes there was only one 1st generation Solingen order... the original for 500 each m14 and m15s. This was my deductive conclusion in the vintage 14 line.. and the reasons are listed there based on sales of combat knives during this peace-time period. If there were additional orders, that would change several things including estimates of how many green-Tenite handled 14s-15s were made.)

Let me summarize...

March, 1954 - Mr. Randall had meeting with USNavy, provided detailed blueprints and model knives. USNavy ordered 10 m15s (no m14s?) for testing based on detailed blue prints. These blue prints presumably called for 3-screws securing the tenite handle.

May, 1954 - USNavy test models finished and shipped, presumably using three-screws securing the handle as per the blue print specs. The 1st generation Solingen order was placed. New catalog was published, with first offer of Solingen m14 and m15s.

May, 1954 (cont) - One or more m15s and m14 Orlando-made blades were sent to Germany to be used as prototypes for the Solingen order. These prototypes were made at the same time the test examples were made for the USNavy presumably to the same blue print specs...

Dec, 1954 - Shop received first installment of the Solingen order for 500 m14s and 500 m15s Solingen blades, ricasso stamped....

DEDUCTION: these blades were delivered with three holes drilled in the tang and the thong hole drilled at the end of the tang. This is presumably because the prototype Orlando blades sent in May had three holes, which in turn was because the blue print specs provided to the USNavy called for three screws securing the handle.

...1st generation Solingen batches continued to be received until Spring, 1955 (?). First production of customer-ordered Solingen blades was in January, 1955 (?). All customer orders, Orlando or Solingen, were constructed with white- (and later green)Tenite, 2-screw handles. 2-screw handles on Solingen knives necessitated additional holes be drilled in the tang at the shop...

Early 1963 - last of original Solingen 1st gen, ricasso-stamped blades used up, new orders placed in Germany and additional orders placed periodically thereafter. New supply did not have same ricasso stamp, (the ricasso was later stamped with the word "Stainless ," if it was a stainless steel blade. Stainless Solingens were probably was not ordered until a couple of years later). Etched Randall trademark introduced. Thong hole on blade tang not drilled in Germany. Holes probably/possibly not drilled in Germany though this may have been a later spec.

Last edited by Jacknola; 06-29-2020 at 01:01 PM.