View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Skilled

Berns-Martin exact fit

Being an engineer, I cannot help micro analyzing things, and as I continue to examine the photos of this sheath, I become more impressed. At first glance, the offset of the rivets just above the toe of the sheath looks to be careless. But that would run counter to the overall construction. So I constructed an overlay to see what was going on.

Voila ? clarity. Because of the different angle of convergence of the blade to the point, vs the gradation of the clip to the point, to insure the bottom rivets are equidistant from the metal, you have to offset them. If you did not, the guard would not sit exactly square to the throat. This is such a minute issue that the standard Randall sheaths did not bother with it. Yet a manufacturer of exact-fit pistol shoulder holsters would probably do this as a matter of course.

To me, this is further evidence that this sheath was made specifically for the shape of this model 14 blade by someone who was quite meticulous. It was probably - or at least possibly - not careless at all. Interesting.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-28-2017 at 11:26 AM.