Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 04:25 PM
Guru

Sawduster welcome.

Well 1095 is a picky steel and I don't make knives from it and generic veg oil won't work, fresh canola does. See the thread about 1095 grain size as it is loaded with info, but 1095 isn't a newbie steel. Also if you are using a mapp gas torch, does it have O2 like oxy-acetylene? If it does you can heat treat a small knife, small. If not, doubtful you'll be able to get it hot enough at 1450 minimum, it burns hotter, but the heat will be spread out with the typical tips those tubes come with. Difficult to get the steel red hot without a good tip on the torch. You will need a magnet and when the steel hits non-magnetic you will need to heat it for a couple minutes past that.

As for grinding, I do use an angle grinder on bigger knives and then finish them with a smaller grinder, or used too, I bought a 2x48 belt grinder and only need the angle grinder for large projects. You can certainly start with the angle grinder and finish with a filing jig and since you bought 3/16" material I would definitely use the angle grinder first.

Buy a $10 DVD from Ray Rogers a moderator here and build a small inexpensive propane forge following his instructions. Also come to Ray Rogers Chat room tonight there will be a few folks to help you and answer questions, which is the best advice I could tell you and yeah, get the 1084.