View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Skilled

I'm also with ray and jim..... don't see those working without a LOT of fight. at best maby use one of them as the core and sandwich Damascus on either side in a canister. I may not have much Damascus making experience (due to lack of space and $$$$$$$ for equipment) but typical advice I hear from those more experienced is the more complex the steel alloy the less favorable it will be for any type of forging processes.
One of the local ABS mastersmiths near me (Bert Foster) does san mai blades with D2 cores. You might be able to get something like that by using other alloys similar enough, but still contrastable. this would still require equipment to exactly control your heat and pressure, as well as exposure to oxygen while heated.
all that said in the end will any performance outweigh the time and expense to make it work vs. using known more compliant, and compatible steel. what tends to happen is people look at all these different metallurgical stats and think "ooo this one is xx .002 better in this area compared to that one" in real life use however that difference isn't so noticeable. plus the difference in HT form one makers process to the next might vary as well using the exact same steels.

if you do try stacking any of these steels let us know what your results are. success or fail.... there will be something to learn from it.