View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 12:55 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayshadow95 View Post
Well Stuart, decided your method would be the best one to try first because I already have everything I needed to do it!

Have a heavy duty piece of 1 inch angle iron, two small c-clamps and a short piece of brazing rod. Figured out how to get it all put together, and gingerly tightened the clamp. Cooked the whole mess at ~400 degrees for an hour, then set it on my table saw top to cool.
When I removed the blade from the clamps, you were correct, about half the warp was gone. So, I put it all back together and did it again.
Glory be! when I took the blade out the second time it is perfectly straight!!!!!
It did develop a slight warp in the tang, may be because the angle iron was only about half an inch longer than the blade. But when I put all of the pieces for the handle on the tang I couldn't see the warp at all, AND all of the pre-drilled holes lined up!

Ran a file across the edge and it didn't bite in at all.

I am now doing the temper on this blade. Hopefully it will still be straight when that's done!

I will also do some rigorous testing when it's done.

Thanks a very much!

AL
Hold off a bit before finishing that blade, theres even odds that the warp works its way back. If you can, let it sit for a week before you go putting a handle on it, last thing you want it to spend a ton of time finishing a blade only to end up with a handle on a potato chip

Wanna know how i know that?