View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Guru

Ok thanks ray as far as the forge i know i think i am going to cut it today i just been delaying the inevitable One question say i cut the bottom piece out where the buble alumina is so the brick can fit. What i was thinking if i cut that out ill have a 1 inch piece of wool with satinite and buble alumina on it. No obviously the brick isnt round so there will be a small section under the flat bottom of the brick with nothing there. I was thinking if i take that piece i cut out and peel off most of the wool so it is just a thin layer of satinite and buble alumina (assuming i can do that with out it breaking into a 1000 pieces, maybe leave a very thin part of wool on) should i try an put that piece in that section under the brick and on the side of the brick if i can? Just thinking about protecting the steel shell a lil bit. Is this worth the effort? Or will the steel stand up to any flux by itself?

As far as the anvil situation THANKS exactly what i needed to know i didnt want to waste money on something i cant use. I have tried checking scrap yards. But where i live it has gotten so ridiculous they wont lent you walk around a scrap/junk yard any more like they used to. Everyone is scared some one is going to get hurt and sue the place. Some places will look for a part for you if you tell them what you need wich is fine if i need a bunch of copper wire or something specific but i actually tried at one place asking the guy to find a large solid piece of steel for a anvil. He said nothing he could think of. Basically he didnt want to spend the time looking for something that isnt a exact part. So if i get what your saying....for example if i need to make a 100 pound anvil the base could be made of 80 pounds and the steel on top could be 20? the piece on top doesnt need to be the whole 100 pounds? What about taking a couple of sledge hammer heads turning them on there sides welding together and grinding down the top so it is a even flat surface and then mounting that into a concrete/cement base? Would something like that work or does the top face have to be all one piece not 2 pieces grinded togather to be smooth and level. If it does have to be one piece could i just slap a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate on top of the hammer heads or is that not thick enough? I think i remember seeing one or 2 anvil's out there that the flat top part where most of the work goes on was actually removable but i dont know if it is something that is supposed to be there or something someone added on later and if it is any good or not.