View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Guru

Thanks guys great ideas to ponder over. Ed...thanks for the re post i get it now i dont know why i didnt in the first place sometimes my brain goes on little vacations with out telling me it might of been one of those days. What i was thinking for the hardy hole was kinda a mesh of rays idea and yours. First weld on square tubing. The only square tube i can find is kinda thin so i got to thinking weld the square tube just as kinda a outline so i know its exact right size and shape then weld square stock or cut up pieces of plate to the sides to give it a lil more strength. Using that square tube makes it easy to mount and make tools for it as i also picked up another square tube that is a little smaller and fits in the bigger tube perfectly. I have a feeling i will end up making most of the tools for it so if mass underneath becomes a problem as Crex was saying i just make them stepped over (as ed also said) and if i do buy one i have a angle grinder and a welder so probilly can fix that problem.

Crex.. Does adding "weight" to the side really help besides silencing the ring. I had actually thought about that when i first got the rail. I figured bigger + heavier = better. But i was told that welding pieces onto the sides would increase the performance of the rail because it is not all "one piece". Unless you were to forge weld these pieces onto the side (wich my forge is not big enough to do ) it would not do anything to improve anything. True/false??

I did alot today i finally cut the coatings and wool out of the bottom of the forge (as ray has been telling me to do for a while.) i wasnt using any flux so i just left it the way it was but now i finished drawing out that billet yesterday so its time to cut stack and weld again so i fixed it so its got a whole half brick (used to be a very thin piece of brick i had grinded down cause the half brick sat to high when it was ontop of coatings). Also problem i noticed this time around that i didnt last time i drew out this billet is hammer marks. So i tried making a flatter. I make it very simple and it may not last long but it does work so it good for me i just took a 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 and 1/2 in thick plate and welded a piece of steel i found 1 1/4 diameter rod. Tomorow hardy hole! Does any one know any other tricks besides the flatter to get hammer marks out? As i said it works but i think i should have made it a lil bigger and its kind of crudely put together so i dont know if it will stand up to the constant hitting using it for 10 mins was fine but i dont know how it will hold uo longer (find out tomorow) thats why i was wondering if ther is a better way