View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 09:27 PM
Steel Addict

I have read the section on the space program in Gaddis many, many times. Thought about it, re-read it, spoke with others, and while it contains the most information available, I wondered was it complete. In other words in the context of his book, was there any details that were determined not as important to be included, did Bo neglect to mention something, or perhaps not every thing was recorded.

My point with this is I was told directly by Dr. Laughlin's step son the the knife came with the Astronaut knives, not with the NASA knives. He was specifically asked by Cooper if he wanted a knife. So, in the haste of filling the order and "working like mad" to fill it, we know the seven astronaut knives were Orlando blades, but were the remaining three Orlando blades? Did Bo throw one or two additional Solingen blades in with the order?

On page 176, there is a quote from Cooper in a letter to Bo where he asks for two additional knives. On page 177 Cooper notifies Bo that the astronaut order is to be kept separate from the NASA order. Then on page 179 Bo states that astronauts are getting nine knives in the original order.

So when you really read this stuff, it sometimes seems what was really clear isn't really clear.

I don't know, but can only go on what I was told, that Dr. Laughlin got his knife from Cooper. Laughlin was pretty proud of his service and ties to the program, so I will trust his memory of circumstances as relayed to me by his step son.

Last edited by crutchtip; 02-15-2018 at 09:30 PM.