View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast

That term sounds vaguely familiar . . . . . . something from about 40 years ago! Too many cobwebs around it to put it into any context!

Know what you mean. I have a couple Western knives, they are nice knives, but don't hold an edge like a Buck knife I have. I could get a very sharp edge on the Westerns with standard sharpening stones in a few minutes, but it took forever to get a good edge on the Buck. This was before I got my diamond hones. Back then, Buck knives were known for being pretty tough, but I heard of several snapping when subjected to hard use.

I tested the edge on my second blade after working on it for a little over half an hour with my 600 grit diamond hone, it cut through 2 feet of cardboard like a hot knife through butter. I am going to do the "brass rod" test tomorrow.

The bar stock I started out with is 5/32nd inch, so after grinding the sides flat, it is right around 1/8th inch thick when I start the primary bevel.

Agree with you, after being a member here for about three years I have learned a lot from some very smart people! It was from discussions I read here that convinced me to try the D2 steel. It is difficult steel to work, but the results are turning out just what I was looking for. I tried W2, but didn't like the results. The couple knives I made out of old wood rasps turned out very well, (due in large part to info from guys here) but quality old rasps and files are getting difficult to find. The advice to get bar stock from NJSB also came for here, and they are great people.
I will continue visiting this site for as long as possible!