View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraistuart View Post
A2 has a toughness/hardness intersection at around 61HRC. For a bird/trout/hunting sort of knife, I personally like them harder, even with all carbon steels. 63-64HRC. The best thing for you to do is make one, temper it for 64-64, use it, and see how you like it. If it's too chippy (I haven't found A2 to be), then back down the HRC with a higher temp temper.

If you were making a larger knife that would see more heavy use, then 60-61HRC. I personally do no believe most any steel should be left below 60HRC. If more toughness is needed, go with a different steel, ala 5160, 80CrV2 (1080+), etc. A2 is VERY tough, even at high hardness levels.

Recommend at least a sub zero treatment immediately after the quench to eliminate retained austenite. If you have access to "cryo" (LN2), even better, but not a must. There is quite a bit of retained austenite in A2 after a quench, and is not a desirable structure in cutlery.
Good to know, thank you. I agree a test piece is the way to go.
I know I may The opening a canna worms here. But you mentioned a subzero treatment. What can I use besides cryo-that would work?

Thanks