View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Guru

All good stuff Carl. I make one exception, never let your bit flex. I never put that much pressure on it and as I like small pins I have to be careful, although I do drill 1/4" thong holes from time to time and on a viking axe I used a piece of 3/8 copper tubing for the thong hole.

I worked in the metal fields for decades and if I'm doing wood or brass I will up my rpms, it's just cleaner, especially woods (G-10 too). At high speed on some materials it just does better. I do not mind changing my speeds at all. BTW there is a reason wood cutting bandsaws are faster, less chipping. Now as I said before there are caveats like stainless is always slow. But I drill O1 at 1000 rpm with no problems, just always use cutting fluid, note any oil is better than none, but lubricating oils like WD 40 are not cutting fluids.

I have a small Proxxon cross table and I love that little thing. I bought a nice screwless vise for it and when you want to come back to the same spot you can't beat that stuff except with a mill/drill. As Carl said, you guys holding a blade on the table by hand and drilling it: USE A CLAMP! We want you to keep making knives and one slip.......

Last edited by jimmontg; 05-20-2017 at 04:36 PM.