View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Thanks Carl. Zack White's Co. is sending me a sample of horse leather, the girl I talked to said it is consistent and toolable. I've never used it, but it is affordable in small quantities as it's not easy for me to spend $150 for a shoulder split or something, but if I was going to spend that much I would make the drive to Knoxville and there is a Woodcraft store just down the street from Tandy.

I have bought wood from Woodcraft online and their customer service is second to none. I ordered some purple heart and tulipwood from them and UPS had mangled the box and retaped it. My tulipwood was gone and the purple heart looks like it's Honduran Rosewood. I called and they overnight shipped me the correct order and didn't even ask for the rosewood back when I offered to send it back they said to keep it for the inconvenience I experienced. I have no complaints about their service, but wood like leather is something I prefer to pick out myself.

I found a place here in Asheville for exotic woods, though their selection isn't large, It's called Asheville Hardware and they have a bunch of stuff. Their prices are decent too.
The horse butts you get from them are very small. Only a few sq feet at most. It is much longer than wide. I love working with them for small sheaths and such but you will need to oil them really well with some oil of some form. I use Neets Foot oil and it works. If you are looking for some exotic woods try a local wood turnning store if you have one. The only problem is the wood may be very wet when you get it. There is a place called the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, NC that will do mail order I think. Check their website.

https://hardwoodstore.com/

Good Luck, Mike