View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Skilled

Well, on to plan C, I skipped A, ruined B and went to C on my list of plans.

I'm still not sure I will use this one for the KITH, I need some feedback.

I decided to go ahead with plan B style (which was San Mai, but my attempt to forge weld the billet failed) so I decided to forge the same knife in my head from 1084 Stock.

I had My wife and son take a few pics as I was working.

I should say at the start don't laugh too much at my current set up. Most of my equipment is in the tarped trailer in the pics. Most of my Power equipment is at a friends so I can at least use it, and my forge and crappy anvil are in a temporary spot in the driveway at the house we are renting as we build, I should have a new Shop (16X24) in the next few months. For now I'm just making due with what I can set up.

Also I have been teaching myself to forge, I don't know anyone who can show me so It is trial and error all the way.

starting the Handle.

working in the point, and doing a little distal taper. I had to stop at a certain point cause the blade was going to stretch past the 8 inch limit. I forged in the rise in the point and the recurve in the Blade.

Peening the sides that will remain "rough"

Roughed out and ready to grind

I got the Blade exactly as I had in my head, the handle, not so Much.

I don't know If I like the handle. ????

Half way thru grind

rough grind done.

Looking for some input on this one, does the handle look OK? I like the blade alot, its just sort of a Camp knife/chopper.