View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 11:31 AM
Steel Addict

If you are having a difficult time finding railroad track. Another option is forklift tine(fork). A guy close to me was selling used ones 7x42" for $75. You would have to get it cut and welded. An I shape seems the consensus there.

As for the grinder. You can get a 1x30 grinder from Harbor Freight for $60 or less if you have the 20% coupon. If you go this route check out Pops for belts. Great people to buy from. Would say you need a 60, 120, 220 minimum would say buy at least 2 of each in case one breaks. And use them like they are free. I know the are not but worn belts can be dangerous. And the can also have undesirable effects on the steel finish.

For the forge material. I would suggest High Temperature Tools and Refractory. Again great people and good pricing. A note if buying brick for your forge. The Hard Bricks are only good for the floor. They more resist the heat than insulate it and insulation is key. If you do use a hard brick for the floor put your insulation material under it as well. ITC-100. I say it again ITC-100
You don't need it but you do need it. It is pricey. The small container should be enough for a forge for making 8" knives. It will save you gallons upon gallons of propane. It is a heat reflection coating. Helps your forge get hotter as well.

I was kinda in the same boat as you about 7 years ago. I've built 2 forges. One 2 brick and a forced air stovepipe one. Actual forging is all I wanted to do. I still want to do it. I love beating steel into submission. Watching it become what I want and what it wasn't. My current housing situation doesn't allow my to forge. But I can still do stock removal. I didn't just catch the forge bug. I caught the blade making bug. Blades by any means at my disposal. There are guys out there using fire pits and a rock as an anvil. To them using more than that is "cheating". Seems you caught a particular bug though. We'll just have to wait and see if it goes viral or if it's an acute infection

A blade by any other name is just as sharp

Chris

Last edited by squigly1965; 01-21-2017 at 11:44 AM.