View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Skilled

ericbrinkerhoff...I have seen the set-up you mention on you-tube. The set-up works for hollow grinding due to the curvature of the contact wheels. I have aquired the parts for making such a grinder myself.
While I think this set-up has somwthing to offer those who do hollow grinding, I don't think it would do nearly as well with either convex or flat grinding...again due to the curvature of the contact wheels....however...I would stop short of saying that it could not be done. People do flat and convex grinds every day using contact wheels...but I doubt the two wheel grinder would be an optimum set-up for flat or convex grinds. I am certain that a competant grinder who is proficient with doing all types of grinds could do well with it, but he could probably do just as well using a conventional grinder.
Also, the double wheel grinder is not necessary for doing hollow grinds. The design is interesting, but falls short of being an actual requirement.
Much is to be said for practicing with your present grinder and gaining the required skills for knifemaking through that tried and true metheod...practice...practice...practice.
There is no known design that will ever replace or make obsolete the skills aquired through practice.
You can spend more money on new equipment etc. , but if you could market any product that replaces skill, you could name your price for it.